Growers Tool Kit to Sell More Grapes
Are you ready for a grape buyer’s visit?
Resources growers need to have for grape buyers:
- Vineyard Map (blocks color coded by varietal) to include the following information: rootstocks, budwood, spacing, vines/acre, soil types
- Pesticide Use Reports – and Recommendations from PCA
- Certifications (CCOF, Fish Friendly, CSWA, Historic Vineyard Society, Demeter-USA etc.)
- Pruning practices
- Irrigation practices
- Historical tonnage reports from past 5 years
- Sales history to wineries – awards wines made from your grapes received
- Talking points on what makes your vineyard, site, farming practices
- special/different from your neighbor
- Vineyard Management assistance?
- Harvest capabilities
- Gondola-Bin Type
- Machine harvester
Practical advice for a grape buyer’s visit:
- Dress for success…wear clean work clothes
- Clean your vehicle for the vineyard tour
- Prioritize the grape buyer’s visit – nothing is more important than being ready
- Your vineyard office, shop etc. are a reflection of your attention to detail – keep it clean and organized
How to Transition to Organic or Bio-Dynamic Farming
The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service maintains a soil survey of all the soils in the nation. To find the soil type(s) for a specific parcel, go to the Web Soil Survey (WSS).
Kaos Sheep Outfit –541-760-1413, Jaimeikaos@gmail.com