USDA – CFAP 2.0 Program -application deadline Dec 11, 2020
CA OSHA Regulations – COVID-19
COVID – 19 OSHA Emergency Temporary Standard – What does this new regulation mean to the wine industry? (slide deck from Wine Institute and CAWG Dec. 4)
COVID – 19 OSHA Emergency Temporary Standard – What does this new regulation mean to the wine industry? (video recording of the presentations – Wine Institute and CAWG Dec. 4)
- Cal/OSHA COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standards FAQ
- Cal/OSHA – What Employers Need to Know
- Cal/OSHA Model COVID-19 Prevention Program (CPP)
- Sign-up for Fisher Phillips Legal Alerts
Financial Resources for Grape Growers:
Smoke Exposure FAQs for Crop Insurance
Smoke Exposure Related Info:
CDFA’s Center for Analytical Chemistry (CAC) is available to test more winegrape samples for the presence of smoke compounds due to recent wildfires. The CAC has tested 140 winegrape samples since early October, when it began accepting them to help commercial labs reduce testing turnaround times for growers. CAC’s turnaround time is 3-5 days. The lab will measure seven smoke-related compounds (guaiacol, 4-methylguaiacol, o-cresol, p-cresol, m-cresol, syringol, and 4-methylsyringol). To submit samples ($246 each), visit the CAC website for instructions or contact CDFA at (916) 228-6844 or CDFA.CAC_receiving@cdfa.ca.gov.
CALIFORNIA, DAVIS, UC Davis CA&ES Analytical Laboratory
Contact: UC Davis CA&ES Analytical Laboratory
Notes: This laboratory tests wine samples only.
CALIFORNIA, SACRAMENTO, The Center for Analytical Chemistry (CDFA)
Notes: This laboratory tests wine grapes only.
LOUISIANA, NEW ORLEANS Eurofins (with California drop off sites)
Testing standard: ISO 17025
Contact: Tammy Tran or (504) 297-3400
Notes: Eurofins laboratory is located in New Orleans, Louisiana with drop-off locations for wine and winegrape samples in West Sacramento, Livermore and Fresno. Full details of their testing program can be found in the flyer provided by Eurofins.
Smoke Exposure Testing Labs:
ETS Labs – current turnaround approximately 4 weeks
Supra Research and Development
Location: British Columbia, Contact: Matt Noestheden 250-469-3923, Type: Comprehensive (free and bound smoke markers)
K Prime, Inc.
Location: Santa Rosa, CA Phone: 707-527-7574, Contact: email@example.com, Type: Comprehensive (free and bound smoke markers)
Marsili Consulting Group
(815) 289-0303 RTMarsili@gmail.com
Services: Able to run free and bound forms of smoke related phenols.
Growers Tool Kit to Sell More Grapes
Are you ready for a grape buyer’s visit?
Resources growers need to have for grape buyers:
- Vineyard Map (blocks color coded by varietal) to include the following information: rootstocks, budwood, spacing, vines/acre, soil types
- Pesticide Use Reports – and Recommendations from PCA
- Certifications (CCOF, Fish Friendly, CSWA, Historic Vineyard Society, Demeter-USA etc.)
- Pruning practices
- Irrigation practices
- Historical tonnage reports from past 5 years
- Sales history to wineries – awards wines made from your grapes received
- Talking points on what makes your vineyard, site, farming practices
- special/different from your neighbor
- Vineyard Management assistance?
- Harvest capabilities
- Gondola-Bin Type
- Machine harvester
Practical advice for a grape buyer’s visit:
- Dress for success…wear clean work clothes
- Clean your vehicle for the vineyard tour
- Prioritize the grape buyer’s visit – nothing is more important than being ready
- Your vineyard office, shop etc. are a reflection of your attention to detail – keep it clean and organized
How to Transition to Organic or Bio-Dynamic Farming
The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service maintains a soil survey of all the soils in the nation. To find the soil type(s) for a specific parcel, go to the Web Soil Survey (WSS).
Kaos Sheep Outfit –541-760-1413, Jaimeikaos@gmail.com